Devotional Book Guidelines
We solicit devotionals written by Seventh-day Adventist women based on a personal experience of God's involvement in the life of a woman and show how this experience demonstrates a Biblical principle which readers can apply to everyday life.
Devotionals are accepted every day throughout the calendar year. The deadline to receive submissions for the current book is August 31, although if the book is filled earlier, your submission will be held over to the following year.
Each submission will include:
- Title of devotional
- Selected Bible verse
- Bible version for each quoted scripture reference (this is important!)
- Your name as it will appear in print
- Word limit is 375-425 words.
- Type in English.
- Write with Microsoft Word or Apple Pages.
- Sorry, NO poems will be accepted; pseudonyms are NOT permitted.
- Name your digital file with your last name and devotional title: lastname-title [e.g. Lee-Rescued].
- Include your contact info (with street mailing address) and biographical sketch.
- Page size, US letter, 8 x 11.5 inches (not A4)
- Times New Roman, regular font, 12-point type
- Do not use italics, underline, bold, or ALL CAPS.
The Perfectionist's format
- Alignment flush left
- One-inch margins all around
- Paragraph indention, one-half inch
- Line spacing, exactly 20 points
- Line numbering on (don't exceed 30 lines)
- One space after sentence punctuation
- Footnotes, all quoted sources including E.G. White
- If Word or Pages are not available to you, write your devotional in the body of an email message.
- The 30-line count includes a line for the date, a line for the title, lines for the Bible verse (and full name of the book with Bible version) and a line of spacing after the verse, additional lines for footnotes and poetical portions of scripture. All song lyrics are typeset as poetry.
- If your devotional runs too long—extra Bible verses at the top and prayers at the end are deleted first. You may be asked to shorten your submission.
- If you quote from another source, please include written permission to use the quoted reference or song lyrics (see Copyright Issues).
- Permission is NOT necessary for quoting E.G. White writings, the Bible, or two lines of lyrics published in the Seventh-day Adventist Hymnal.
- In Word documents: Find the Line Numbering feature under the pulldown menu for LAYOUT. Find the Word Count displayed on the bottom menu bar left side. Word count also under the pulldown menu for FILE /Properties option /Statistics tab.
- If you follow these format guidelines, your submission of 375-425 words will easily fit onto one typed manuscript page (8.5 by 11 inches) using 30 lines or less. Line 31 is reserved for your name.
Pointers for Writing Devotionals
Whether or not your submission is accepted, consult, "Pointers for Writing Devotionals," created for our devotional book contributors by Carolyn R. Sutton (see below). It will inspire you to write another devotional or rewrite the devotional in front of you.
With your contact information, please include a biographical sketch, no longer than four or five lines. You may include what you do for an occupation, what you do for your church or community, what you do in your spare time, and what your additional personal accomplishments are. You may include your ministry website address.
How do you want your name to appear in the book? Please use that name with your submission and biographical sketch.
Notify Us of Any Changes
If your name, address, contact information, or biographical sketch changes before your submission is published, please notify us promptly or by the August 20 deadline for updates. Contact information includes your street address, telephone number, e-mail address.
How to Submit
When you submit a devotional, you will receive a response, usually within two to three weeks, confirming your submission has been received.
Your devotional may be submitted in one of the following ways:
1. By e-mail: email@example.com
2. By fax: 1 (301) 680-6600
3. By postal mail:
GC Women's Ministries Devotional Book
General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
12501 Old Columbia Pike
Silver Spring, MD 20904-6600
Tel: 1 (301) 680-6608
All submissions become the property of the General Conference Women's Ministries Department. Unused manuscripts cannot be returned.
If your devotional has previously been published elsewhere, you must notify us for copyright purposes. Please include a letter or forward an email from the previous publisher granting us permission to use your devotional.
If your submission is accepted for the Women's Ministries devotional book, it cannot be used in another publication without written permission from General Conference Women's Ministries.
Statements of permission from you or from us are also needed for self-published devotionals, including your own Internet blog.
About Your Contributions
We solicit contributions from women on a wide variety of spiritual topics. Each devotional should be based on a personal experience of God's involvement in the life of a woman and show how this experience demonstrates a Biblical principle which readers can apply to everyday life. Please, no sermons or doctrinal studies. This book will be marketed to Christians of all denominations; therefore, terminology should be used that can be understood by all Christians. We encourage global participation which contributes a varied cultural and ethnic flavor to each book.
Those who contribute to this project agree that all royalties of the devotional books will go to the Women's Ministries Scholarship Fund of the division in which the book is published. They further agree that they will receive no payment for any contributions submitted or accepted for publication. However, each author will receive a complimentary copy of the book from Pacific Press Publishing Association as well as an author's discount on additional books purchased for gifts.
Authors are encouraged to submit no more than two devotionals in any one year unless notified otherwise. If you have been notified that a devotional of yours was not accepted, please do not resubmit it unless you have made significant changes which more accurately reflect the devotional book guidelines.
Thank you for contributing to our women's devotional book, which has been published annually since 1992. The royalties from book sales have helped fund 2,559 scholarships awarded to Adventist women from 137 countries who are enrolled in Adventist higher education.
Submissions that are not accepted
If your submission was not accepted, it may be for the following reasons:
- It is too long or too short.
- It is a tribute to an individual.
- It is not a personal experience or insight that applies to women.
- Do not include a personal experience that promotes a project, book, or accomplishment.
- Do not summarize someone else's experience that you found elsewhere.
- It is not fully showing God's presence in the experience.
- It is not uplifting or encouraging; it is too depressing or sad in nature or message; is not dealt with an a devotional, redemptive manner.
- It is similar to other submissions already accepted or on a topic addressed many times.
- It covers too many topics, none of which has enough information to be developed into a complete devotional.
- It might be offensive to someone of other religious, cultural, ethnic, or racial background.
- It degrades men.
- It is more of a sermon or doctrinal study, not a devotional in tone.
- It is too controversial in subject theme.
Production Schedule for the current books: 2021 and 2022
November 2019: The pre-press cycle begins with the 2021 book manuscript. The editorial cycle begins with the 2022 book manuscript.
November 1, 2019: Contributing authors begin submitting devotionals for the 2022 manuscript (the earlier the better).
May 2020: Editor's final proofread of galley prints for the 2021 book manuscript.
June 1, 2020: Editor's deadline goal for receiving all devotionals needed to fill the 2022 manuscript.
August 2020: Book publishing is completed for the 2021 devotional book.
August 20, 2020: Deadline for contributing authors to provide address changes for receiving the complimentary 2021 devotional book. Or if you are in the midst of moving, please let us know to hold your book for the new address.
August 31, 2020: Deadline for contributing authors to submit devotionals and provide biographical sketches for the 2022 book manuscript.
September 2020: The 2021 devotional book is addressed and shipped.
October 2020: The editor completes the 2022 book manuscript and sends it to the press.
November 2020: The editing cycle begins again with the new book manuscript for 2023. The pre-press cycle begins again with the 2022 book manuscript.