In 1991 General Conference Women's Ministries awarded $250 for one scholarship in one country helping one woman attend university for a graduate degree.
By the end of its 18th year for the 2019 fall semester, GC WM had awarded $1,290,790 for 2,559 scholarships for Adventist women attending college/university in 137 countries.
Statistics for July 2019
- Scholarships for $19,190 for fall semester are disbursed to 35 outstanding women.
- The funds were sent to 15 countries including Togo, Congo, Kenya, and Korea.
- Six awards went to Bolivia.
- The newest country to be represented is South Sudan.
Scholars in January 2019
- Nadia is a member of a Medical Clowning Club that cheers sick children.
- Yasmin in St. Lucia must borrow textbooks because she cannot afford them.
- Loveness, an orphan in Zambia, struggles to pay for nursing classes.
Special Project in 2019
More than 70% of Europe's Roma (gypsy) population lives in dire poverty, often marginalized, and the victims of discrimination.
OUR CHALLENGE: to raise $20,000 by December 31, 2019 to help gypsy women in Romania get an education. Raised so far: $5,575.
Nine years ago, Lina, a gypsy woman of Romania, was illiterate. Yet in just eight years she earned a master's degree in theology in Spain. During these long years in her course of studies, she received a scholarship award that helped boost her confidence and give her encouragement to continue her education. Lina serves in a church she helped evangelize. She teaches Bible classes, provides clothing to the poor, and helps wherever needed. She prays for an opportunity to serve as pastor among other gypsies. Presently, she is learning yet another language: English.
The royalties of the women's daily devotional book series published since 1993 have helped support the scholarship program. Book royalties alone are not enough to fund the scholarships. Personal donations and fundraising projects are vital to keeping this program alive.
What can your funding do to help?
$15/month: 1 semester tuition, BANGLADESH
$30/month: 1 semester room and board, THAILAND
$160 for one month tuition, ARGENTINA
$295 for one quarter tuition, ZAMBIA
$400 for one semester tuition, UKRAINE
$1,000 for one semester tuition, RUSSIA
$1,050 scholarship, JAMAICA