In 1991 General Conference Women's Ministries (GC WM) awarded $250 for one scholarship in one country helping one woman attend one university studying for one graduate degree.
Since its inception until the 2023 fall semester, GC WM has awarded $1,467,780 for 2,789 scholarships for Adventist women attending college/university in 146 countries.
Statistics for 2023
- Scholarships totaling $42,100 were disbursed to 63 dedicated women.
- The funds were sent to countries including, Bolivia and Belgrade, Ethiopia and England, Madagascar and Myanmar, Ukraine and Uganda.
- Countries represented include: Lebanon and Israel, Argentina and Peru, Tanzania and South Africa, Serbia and Hungary. Pray for the women who received these scholarships.
- Five awards were given to women in Euro-Asia Division.
Scholarships in 2023
- In India, Monika is studying for an Master of Science degree in nursing. She is busy as a wife and mother of two little boys, but she wants to be a greater blessing with her advanced degree.
- Agness, a mother of 3 children, and provides a home for 4 more, hopes to finish her degree at Malawi Adventist University since all 9 teenagers of her household are in secondary school. (Money is tightly budgeted and she needs financial assistance for college tuition.) She counsels young women on campus, leads the ministerial spouses, and assists and supports her pastor husband. Described a good leader, she is praised as "a woman of unquestioned integrity, full of confidence, and wisdom."
- At Belgrade Theological Seminary in Serbia, Marija is studying theology along with her student husband. She serves as youth leader at a nearby church which is pastored by her husband. She also preaches, writes children's songs, gives Bible studies, and visits church members. Marija's first college degree was in Fine Arts. Her paintings were shown in two international exhibitions, her graphics at two international exhibits, and she has shown her original fashion designs at Fashion Week, as well as at the Gallery of Fine Arts in Nis. She is described as "dedicated, resourceful, creative, and always ready to help other students who may be struggling."
Funds for Scholarships
The royalties of the women's daily devotional book series published since 1993 have helped support the worldwide scholarship program. Book royalties alone are not enough to fund the scholarships. Personal donations and fundraising projects are vital to keeping this program alive.
How your donations help
- $15/month: 1 semester tuition, BANGLADESH
- $30/month: 1 semester room and board, THAILAND
- $160 for one month tuition, ARGENTINA
- $295 for one quarter tuition, ZAMBIA
- $400 for one semester tuition, UKRAINE
- $1,000 for one semester tuition, RUSSIA and JAPAN
- $1,050 scholarship, JAMAICA
Special Project in 2019 and 2020
Thank you! We succeeded in raising $20,000 for Romania by December 31, 2020.
Often marginalized, more than 70% of Europe's Roma (gypsy) population live in dire poverty and become the victims of discrimination. Our goal was to raise $20,000 to help give gypsy women in Romania an education.
Nine years ago, Lina, a gypsy woman of Romania, was illiterate. Yet in just eight years she earned a master's degree in theology in Spain. During these long years in her course of studies, she received a scholarship award that helped boost her confidence and give her encouragement to continue her education. Lina serves in a church she helped evangelize. She teaches Bible classes, provides clothing to the poor, and helps wherever needed. She prays for an opportunity to serve as pastor among other gypsies. She speaks several languages, including Romani, the language of gypsies around the world. Presently, she is learning yet another language: English.