The General Conference Department of Women's Ministries (GC WM) scholarship program is established to give scholarships to women who are committed to serving the mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church who would otherwise be unable to afford a Christian education. Scholarship awards are based on academic achievement, financial need, and community outreach. Specific amounts of scholarship awards vary from year to year and are dependent on the amount of funds available.
Except for residents of the USA, Canada, and Bermuda, download the GC WM Scholarship application. Submit your completed application to your home conference or mission Women's Ministries Department.
Who is Eligible?
Any woman who is planning to attend a Seventh-day Adventist college in the division in which she lives is eligible. Primary consideration will be given to those in the last two years of college-level study. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of financial need, ability, and the recipient's determination to improve herself. She must be committed to serve the Lord in whatever way He directs and committed to the mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
How May I Apply?
Women interested in applying for the scholarship should download the application form on this page.
You will be asked to fill out the application, provide a photo, a transcript of your latest year in school and three recommendations written by your pastor, church leaders, and/or teachers.
Scholarships should be submitted first to your conference or mission WM director who will send it to the union WM director, then the division WM director and finally to the GC WM director. If you have no conference WM director send the application to your union WM director. If there is no conference or union WM director then send it directly to your division WM director.
Applicants will be screened by a scholarship committee appointed by each division Women's Ministries director. She will forward the recommendations of her division committee to the General Conference Women's Ministries Scholarship Committee.
- Each recipient shall sign a "Commitment Statement," agreeing to uphold the standards of the Seventh-day Adventist Church and to use her education to further the mission of the Church.
- The student shall be required to study within her own division, unless special arrangement is made with the division WM scholarship committee in order to complete a specific field of study.
- The General Conference Department of Women's Ministries shall put safeguards in place to protect the program from nepotism and favoritism.
- Each institution receiving scholarship moneys must agree that these scholarships are over and above other scholarships that are available to women in that institution.
- Students shall be considered on the basis of financial need, leadership skills, academic achievement, and personal commitment to the mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
- The overall ethnic balance in determining scholarship recipients shall be considered.
- High school scholarships in developing countries shall be considered.
- The General Conference Department of Women's Ministries shall consult with Griggs University to work out programs for students in isolated areas.
- Scholarships shall be available to Adventist women in all the world divisions of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
- The program will be promoted through a brochure, the General Conference Women's Ministries newsletter, and other available channels.
- Applications shall be channeled through the division Women's Ministries director, who will be part of the screening process.
- The division Women's Ministries director shall present the candidate's application to her division scholarship committee for approval.
- Before any moneys are transferred, the name recommended by the division committee shall be submitted to the General Conference Department of Women's Ministries Scholarship Committee for final approval.
- Where it is possible, the division Women's Ministries director shall make the actual presentation of the scholarships to the student at the university in which she is enrolled.
- The division WM director shall file regular reports with GC WM about the progress of each scholarship recipient.
Read more about our scholarship program in ANN article, May 7, 2018